Saturday, March 3, 2012

Authentic Thai Food


Many years ago I spent a few weeks in Thailand for work.  One weekend Nitia, an engineer from the company I was working with, took me outside of Bangkok to do some sight seeing with her two daughters.  Our first stop was a school that taught native crafts and was supported by the Queen.  At the school there was a pier that went out over a slow moving river 20 or 30 feet below.  Underneath the pier there were vendors on a few small boats next to a platform selling food.  Nitia pointed out the boats and asked me if I would like to try some of the food they were selling.  She added "It's authentic Thai food." 
I told her "No, I'm not hungry."  
A few minutes later she asked again "They're selling traditional Thai food, don't you want to try it?"  
I assured her that I wasn't hungry but in a few minutes she asked again "Are you sure you don't want something to eat?  It is authentic Thai food."  
It finally hit me.  I'm a stupid guy and I wasn't getting the hint.  She must want to eat some of the food from the boats.  So I said "I am not really hungry now but if you want to go and get something to eat, I'll go with you."  
She looked at me with disgust and said "I'm not eating that food.  They wash the dishes in the river!"  


This photo was not taken in Thailand and really has nothing to do with the story (except that the river was used as an outhouse).
I have a photograph of the boats selling food somewhere but I was too lazy to find it and scan it.  
I'm sure it's not a good an especially good photo anyways.  So I am posting this one instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment